Parent and tot swimming lessons
Benefits of parent and tot lessons
- Parents learn how to keep their child safe in aquatic settings
- Children develop water positive attitudes and become comfortable in a water environment
- Reduce fear of water
- Increase motor skills
- Significant heart and lung development benefits
- Gain some independence with parental supervision
Types of parent and tot lessons
You can register online, in person at our Recreation facilities, or by calling
403-268-3800 (option 1).
Fall registration for swimming lessons is now open.
About our swim instructors
Our instructors have Bronze Cross or higher certification. They are qualified to teach and evaluate Swim for Life programs, Canadian Swim Patrol, Bronze Star, Bronze Medallion and Bronze Cross.
What are lessons like?
Parents and tots can expect to play in the water and learn to enter and exit safely. Play is important for developing postive views of aquatic settings.
All participants must wear swim wear and bring a towel. Swim goggles are optional.
All children 35 months and under must wear plastic pants over their swim diapers. If you don’t have plastic pants, they can be purchased at the pool.
All other required equipment and lifejackets are provided. Lifeguard on duty on pool deck.
The City of Calgary Recreation is committed to providing an aquatic environment where individuals from all ethnic and religious backgrounds are comfortable participating in activities in and around the water. We want all customers to feel safe and welcome at our facilities, and have therefore adopted a non-traditional bathing wear policy as outlined below.
In addition to conventional swim wear, participants may wear:
- Long-sleeved pants and shirts, tee-shirts and shorts with undergarments or a swim suit worn underneath.
- Traditional ethnic clothing (e.g. saris and hijabs) with a swim suit or undergarments worn underneath. For safety reasons, patrons wearing traditional garments such as saris are asked to remain in the shallow end of the pool and to refrain from using the dive tank.
In order to ensure that our aquatic environments are safe and free from any external contaminants, all participants are required to:
- Wear clothing that is different from the clothing worn to the facility
- Take a complete and cleansing shower (while clothed in the swim attire that will be worn in the water) before entering the pool
Through this policy, Recreation affirms its commitment to recognizing and valuing the diversity of our customers.