Landfill Guidelines and Frequently Asked Questions
The City of Calgary is committed to providing a safe and respectful workplace for all employees and customers. Physical or verbal abuse will not be tolerated.
- Make sure your waste loads are covered and secured in your vehicle to prevent littering.
- Keep your different types of materials separated as you load up your vehicle. This will make unloading materials at the various drop off points in the landfill more efficient.
- Customers are responsible for ALL unloading of materials – staff and equipment are not available to assist.
- Wear closed-toed shoes when dropping off material at the landfill.
- Keep children and pets inside the vehicle at all times.
Frequently asked questions
When you arrive at a City landfill, you will drive to the scalehouse entrance where:
- Your vehicle will be weighed
- You will advise scalehouse operator of what material you have in your vehicle load to drop off. The scalehouse operator will indicate whether there is a charge for the materials you are dropping off and will direct you to where you will drop off your materials.
After you drop-off your load at the designated area in the landfill, you will drive back to the scalehouse exit where:
- Your vehicle will be weighed again. The difference in weight is the tonnage you will pay for.
- Payment for your landfill load will be made.
- If you are dropping off no charge items at the landfill, you are still required to weigh in and out.
Your load is charged by the weight of material. The minimum charge is $25 for all loads under 250 kilograms. Different materials have different costs – please refer to our landfill materials and rates page for more information.
Advise the scalehouse operator of your different materials. You will be given the option to weigh in and out for each material so you can pay each rate separately. Please note that you will not be able to bypass the queue if there is a lineup.
If you choose to only weigh in once, then you will be charged the highest rate for all materials dropped off.
Composition of waste loads is highly variable. City landfill staff have final say about acceptability of any material and the charges applied to each load.
Residential customers can bring select items to the City Throw 'n' Go sites for free recycling or safe disposal. See the list of materials here.
You can use any kind of motor vehicle to bring your waste loads to the landfill.
Residential customers can use the Throw 'n' Go area which is a paved all-weather location separate from the landfill.
Any commercial vehicles are assumed to be hauling waste from a commercial premise or business operation. Commercial rates and site rules will apply (e.g. not eligible for use of free residential programs).