Information | Rezoning for Housing

Public hearing on April 22, 2024. Proposed rezoning will support more housing options in all communities.

Learn more

Bylaws by topic | Preventing and controlling weeds | Alberta Weed Control Act information | Weed FAQs

Keeping Calgary neighbourhoods beautiful is one of our top priorities. Below you can find a summary of our regulations surrounding weeds.

  • Private property owners must ensure that weeds on their property are under control and do not spread to other properties. This includes the area from your property line to the centre of any street or alley.
  • Private property owners must control the growth of noxious weeds and must destroy any prohibited noxious weeds on their property.

Please note: Dandelions are no longer considered a noxious weed under the Weed Control Act. Bylaw Officers can only issue a warning to property owners if the dandelions are over 15 cm in height.

Bylaw violations

Fines for long grass and weeds are $400.

For violation of the weed legislation, Bylaw Officers may issue Remedial Orders to property owners to take corrective action regarding weeds on their property. Non-compliance of an Order will result in the City taking corrective action and the property owner will be responsible for any costs incurred.

If necessary, a violation ticket requiring a court appearance may also be issued in accordance with the Weed Control Act.

A complete list of plants that are designated as prohibited noxious and noxious can be found in the Weed Control Regulation.

Preventing and Controlling Weeds

If you find an invasive plant, remove it and place it in the garbage. Do not place it in a composter, this just contributes to the seed spreading. More on how you can fight invasive plants.

The City of Calgary YardSmart provides guidelines for beautiful and healthy yards by using an environmentally friendly approach to yard, lawn and garden care.

Related bylaws

For more detailed information, please refer to the Weed Control Act S.A. 2008, c. W-5.1, the Weed Control Regulation and the Community Standards Bylaw which regulate weeds within Calgary.

Filing a complaint

How to file a complaint and what happens to it

If you know of a bylaw infraction and would like to report it to Animal & Bylaw Services, please call 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).

Report a Weeds Infraction