5 reasons to #SupportLocalYYC
You get unique goods and services—in stock!
From everything you need to fill the most eclectic kitchen pantry, to local fashion and multicultural surprises, finding one-of-a-kind treasures is a gift in itself when you shop local.
You support the local economy
Small businesses make up more than sixty per cent of the retail sector in Calgary. Local businesses generate about four times more economic activity than larger corporations. And support for local businesses means support for local jobs.
It helps protect the environment
Less time and resources shipping products grown and made nearby means fewer emissions are associated with every purchase. Local foods, which support area farmers, can be even more beneficial.
Your money stays in Calgary
Not only does a dollar go further when spent at a local level, it also keeps on giving. Over half of every $100 earned by local businesses ends up recirculating in the Calgary economy. It’s a win-win for our neighbourhood businesses when you think local.
You support your neighbourhood’s identity
The places we think of as great neighbourhoods can really thank local businesses for putting them on the map. Leave a positive review for the places you love, follow and tag them on social media, and spread the word about your favourite local businesses with #SupportLocalYYC
Did you know Calgary has over a dozen Business Improvement Areas?
Another great resource for local shoppers is the directory of Business Improvement Areas (BIAs).
BIAs encourage neighbourhood revitalization, business diversification and, overall, the building of a great city.
Shoppers can explore options for local businesses and find new places to support and try out.
Currently, there are some 15 BIAs, each with a local neighbourhood flavour, with services and products that might be a pleasant surprise.
Each BIA has a website, with shopping directories, special events and other features. Try calgary.ca/bia.
#SupportLocalYYC Marketing Toolkit
Calgarians love supporting local businesses. These tools will help them find you.
Print posters for your store window
Download digital banners for social media
Local Business Marketing Tips
Support Local is a celebration of local businesses and services in Calgary. Join Calgary businesses by using #SupportLocalYYC in your social posts and other marketing. It’s free to participate.
- Use #SupportLocalYYC marketing tools to identify your business as locally owned, and label Calgary made or grown products.
- Claim your business listing and location on Google My Business to increase your visibility online.
- Encourage your customers to use the #SupportLocalYYC hashtag to promote their favourite Calgary businesses and services.
- Ensure you’re active on social media. New photos and updates help keep your followers informed and interested in your business.
- Instagram stories are a fun, spontaneous way for your business to keep your customers informed and entertained. Learn how to create an Instagram Story.
- Instagram has made available gift card, ordering and fundraising stickers to support businesses affected by COVID-19. Learn more at Instagram - How to Support Small Businesses During COVID‑19.
- Facebook has new features that allow you to add special content to your Page, such as displaying your menu, listing your services or showcasing your products with a shop section.
- TikTok has a Small Business Resource Centre with best practices, success stories, creative tools and templates.
- Retweet, re-post and share everything satisfied customers say about your business on social media. Each customer post acts as a little testimonial that may encourage others to give your business a try.
- Respond to social media reviews online. This shows that you value your customers’ feedback, gives you an opportunity to highlight the positives and shows you care.