Age-Friendly Calgary background
The Age-Friendly Strategy was designed to support and prepare for Calgary’s aging population. The creation of this framework included input and participation of older adults at every stage of its development. The strategy presents a vision and principles for creating a more age-friendly city and outlines the proposed actions within six priority areas.
Calgary is an age-friendly city where all people have lifelong opportunities to thrive.
Six priority areas
|Priority Area||Population Results for Older Adults|
Age-Friendly Calgary newsletter
Age-Friendly Calgary a collaborative initiative
Age-Friendly Calgary is a collaborative initiative of Calgary organizations and citizens preparing for Calgary’s aging population. Multisectoral stakeholders are working together to implement the Seniors Age-Friendly Strategy, through action teams, aligned initiatives and internal work at The City.
- An age-friendly city is one where all older adults can be meaningful participants in their community.
- Age-friendly initiatives are based on person-centered principles, and are accessible, affordable, equitable, and comprehensive. Age-friendly initiatives are inclusive of the diversity of the aging population, including age, family status, culture, mobility, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, belief systems, socio-economic status, and language.
- An age-friendly city is responsive to the needs of older adults who are vulnerable.
- Age-friendly initiatives will be based on best available information, will nurture innovation, and will be evaluated for their effectiveness.
- Older people are actively involved in the creation, implementation, and evaluation of an age-friendly city.
- The Seniors Age-Friendly Strategy will focus on the strengths and opportunities presented by an aging population and will highlight the importance of choice for members of the aging population.
- An effective Seniors Age-Friendly Strategy includes collaborative partnerships with the public, private, and non-profit sectors.
- An age-friendly strategy recognizes that older adults contribute to the community in many ways.
- The City of Calgary and partner organizations are collectively accountable to achieve the goals of the Seniors Age-Friendly Strategy.
Strategy Documents and reports
- Seniors Age-Friendly Strategy Implementation Plan 2019-2022 Summary
- For the Full Seniors Age-Friendly Implementation plan 2019-2022, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Age-Friendly Calgary Steering Committee 2018-2019 Report to the Community - an update on the progress of the project
- Age-Friendly Calgary Steering Committee 2018-2019 Report to the Community - short version
- Archived: Seniors Age-Friendly Strategy and Implementation plan 2015-2019
- Archived: Updated May 17, 2017: Revisions to the Transportation & Mobility priority area
- Age-Friendly Alberta
- Guide for communicating with an aging population
- Alberta Age-Friendly Community of Practice
- 2019-2021 Steering Committee Report to the Community