The City of Calgary is developing a new City cemetery. The new cemetery will be situated to the east of Ralph Klein Park in the southeast quadrant of Calgary.
- Grading and shaping the landscape is now complete.
- All roads in the cemetery are in place.
- An initial planting of trees has been completed.
- Organic materials from The City’s compost facility were mixed with existing soil on-site to create an enhanced top soil that will foster better vegetation growth.
The next phase of construction will begin summer 2019, which will include landscaping and irrigation work.
A final preferred concept
A final preferred concept has been designed for the new City cemetery based on all the input collected during public engagement in 2014. Within the concept, the desires and concerns expressed during engagement have been considered and addressed wherever possible. For instance, the preferred concept features a curvilinear design for the new cemetery’s layout to build on the site’s existing natural and constructed wetlands. This was done in direct response to citizens feedback to integrate, but also protect, existing wetlands in the area.
The preferred concept also proposes a mix of formal and informal areas with transition zones between them to accommodate a range of interment options. This design feature meets Calgary’s diverse population needs as highlighted in the engagement feedback.
For more on how the preferred concept incorporates the feedback and ideas we received during public engagement, read the What We Heard/What We Did report.
On Thursday May 1, 2014, The City held a public open house to hear input and feedback from citizens on three different design concepts for the new cemetery. For those who weren’t able to attend the open house, an online survey was available to review the concepts and provide input and feedback. The survey closed on June 1, 2014.
Major themes that emerged from the public engagement include:
- A Made in Alberta solution - Spaces that build off and enhance the prairie landscape, integration and protection of existing natural features (wetland), and maximizing the view to the west.
- A Place for All - Balancing formal and informal spaces, balance spaces for contemplation and appropriate use (walking paths), meeting the needs of Calgary’s diverse cultural communities, and ensuring adequate maintenance and security.
- Celebration of Life - Interest in a celebration building, interest in multi-faith chapel.
About the new cemetery
The new cemetery will be the first new cemetery built by The City since 1940, when Queen’s Park Cemetery opened in Calgary’s northwest.
The new cemetery is expected to open in 2021, and is envisioned to be a contemporary public space that offers Calgarians a peaceful place to lay their loved ones to rest, pay their respects and connect with nature.
Any questions or comments can be emailed to CalgaryCemeteries@calgary.ca