Warning | Boil Water Advisory Lifted

The Boil Water Advisory for Silverado, Yorkville and Belmont has been lifted

Boil Water Advisory Lifted

Step 1: Review

Do I need a permit?

All additions will require one or more permits.

Your addition will require a building safety approval (building permit). Depending on the address of the house, and the size and location of the addition, planning approval may also be required (development permit).


Planning Approval - Development Permit Prior (to construction) Fee schedule Permit fee Advertising fee Development Completion Inspection Total
Addition to a manufactured home 10 square meters or less  planning applications fee schedule $192 - - $192
Addition to a manufactured home greater than 10 square meters planning applications fee schedule $311 - $163 $474
Addition to a detached or attached home (2 units or less) that is 10 square meters or less and in the developed area  planning applications fee schedule $384 $32 - $416
Addition to a detached or attached home (2 units or less) that is greater than 10 square meters and in the developed area  planning applications fee schedule $621 $32 $163 $816*
Addition with a relaxation to a land use bylaw rule in the developing area planning applications fee schedule $384 $32 $163 $579
* An additional $472 service grades fee will be applied to most applications
Building Safety Approval - Building Permit  Fee schedule Permit fee Safety Codes Council Fee (4%) Total
Addition 400 square feet or less  building permit fee schedule $332 $13.28 $345.28
Addition greater than 400 square feet building permit fee schedule $1312 $52.48 $1364.48

How long will it take to get a permit?

To avoid delays, make sure your application includes all the required documents, plans and information listed on the checklist:

When does my permit expire?

You will receive a permit expiry reminder in the mail. If you need more time, you can extend your permit. Review the extend or reinstate your permit section.

Permit Type Expiry (from date of issuance)
Building Permit 180 days
Contractor Trade Permit 330 days
Homeowner Permit 330 days

Step 2: Prepare

Use the information below to prepare your application. Follow the rules in the location, design and construction sections to help make sure your application meets the City's requirements.

Construction (Building code and bylaw information)

Do you meet the exempt additions rules in the Land Use Bylaw? (Part 5, Division 1, Section 365)

You meet this rule if:

  • your addition is on the upper floor, does not exceed the existing roof height and is under 10 m²
  • your addition is on the main floor at the front of the house, does not extend forward more than 1.5 m from the original front facade, meets the corresponding height requirements and is under 40 m²
  • your addition is on the main floor at the rear of the house, does not extend back more than 4.6 m from the original rear facade, meets the corresponding height requirements and is under 40 m²

Note: your total addition area cannot exceed 40 m² to meet the addition exemption rules.

Energy efficiency requirements

All additions must comply with the energy efficiency requirements under Section 9.36 of the Alberta Building Code.

Parcel coverage

Parcel coverage by all buildings cannot exceed a certain percentage of your total property size. This percentage is dictated by your specific land use district​. See the graph below to determine your allowable lot coverage.

Land Use District Allowable Coverage (%) Parcel Area <= 300 m2Parcel wdith < 10 m2 Parcel Area <= 300 m2Parcel wdith < 8.7 m2 Parcel width > 11 m Semi-Detached / Duplex Row / Townhouse
R-C1LR-C1Ls 40 x x x x x
R-C1R-C1sR-C2R-1R-1sR-MHR-CG* 45 x x x x x
R-C1N 45 50 x x x x
R-1N 50 x 60 45 x x
R-2 45 x x x 50 x
R-2M 45 x x x 50 60

*Parcel coverage rules for R-CG change as density increases.

Note: If the aggregate area of all accessory buildings is under 10m2, those structures will not contribute to parcela piece of land. coverage.

To calculate lot coverage, you will need to divide the footprint area of all applicable buildings by the property size.

(Total building area ÷ property area) × 100 = lot coverage per cent


  1. Use the property information tool and the graph above to figure out the allowable coverage for the property.
    R-C1 = 45%

  2. Calculate the property area.
    10.36 m × 32.0 m = 331.52 m2

  3. Add all applicable building areas:
    house: 77.2 m2
    covered deck: 9.3 m2
    shed: 10.2 m2
    garage: 40.8 m2
    Total building area = 137.5 m2
  4. Divide the total building area by the property area and times that by 100 to get a percentage.
    total building area = 137.5 m2 × 100 = 41.47%
    property area = 331.52 m2

R-C1 allows for a maximum lot coverage of 45 per cent. Therefore, the proposal comes within the allowable lot coverage.​​​​

Building setbacks

The setback requirements for existing and new structures are the same.

For all residential districts, except R-C1L/R-C1Ls, there is a 1.2 m requirement for both side property lines where the property has a lane. Where the property does not have a lane or a front attached garage a 1.2 m side setback on one side, and 3 m on the other is required.

If your property is in a developing district, a 3.0 m front setback is required where the property is laned and a 2.0 m setback where it is laneless. If your property is in a developed district, other than R-C1L, a 1.5 m allowance is subtracted from the contextual front setback to determine the minimum front setback for the proposed addition. However, the front setback cannot be less than 3.0 m. The district R-C1L is an exception. In this district, the minimum front setback is 6.0 m.

All low density residential properties, except R-MH, require a 7.5 m required setback from the rear property line.

Projections into setback areas

All low density residential properties must have at least one side setback free and clear of all projections (i.e. cantilevers, window wells, air conditioning units).

The maximum length of any projection in a setback area is 3.1 m.

Portions of a building may project 0.6 m into the side setback, while not being located closer than 0.9 m to the front facade. Air conditioning units can project 1.0 m and window wells can project 0.8 m.

There may be no projections in the 3 m required side setback on properties without a lane or a front attached garage.

Landings and stairs may project without limits into the side setback, if:

  • They provide access to the main or lower floor.
  • The landing area does not exceed 2.5 m2.
  • The landing is accessible from front and back.
  • No more than 1.8 m2 of the landing is in the setback.
  • There cannot be any projections into the 3 m required side setback on properties without a lane or a front attached garage.

On a corner parcel, the regular projection rules apply; however, no projection can be located within 3.0 m of the BOW or FOC.

Safety standards for residential additions

You may require drawings that are signed and sealed by a professional engineer licensed to practice in Alberta if:

  • You are using a grade beam and pile foundation system.
  • You are using a non-engineered roof truss system.
  • You are using a preserved wood foundation (PWF).
  • Any of your structural details are not covered by the Alberta Building Code.

For detailed and complete safety code information, please refer to the Alberta Municipal Affairs and Housing Safety at municipalaffairs.gov.ab.ca.

Asbestos abatement

You must declare whether or not the project area contains asbestos, and if so, you must declare that the asbestos has been properly removed from the project area. These declarations can be made using the Asbestos Abatement Information Form which must be provided at time of application.

Adding a bathroom or increasing the intensity of utilities

If you are planning additional plumbing (like a new bathroom, kitchen or laundry room) or increasing your potential water consumption in any way, you may be charged an additional grades fee for updating the existing utilities. This fee is also required for any addition over 10 m2 in area.

New home buyer protection program

A new Home Buyer Warranty may be required if your addition is 75 per cent or more of the existing house square footage. For more information about the warranty in reference to additions, see the reconstruction bulletin on Alberta Municipal Affairs Registrar Bulletins page. Visit the new home warranties page or call 1-866-421-6929 for general information.

Radon requirement

The Alberta Building Code requires a radon remediation system rough-in installation for all new construction projects. If you are adding to the footprint of your home, this will affect your renovation.

Radon is a naturally occurring gas that is invisible, odourless and tasteless. When diluted by the air, it does not cause problems. When concentrated in enclosed space, however, it has been linked to serious health issues.

The rough-in installation allows for future remediation of radon gas, if required. After the space is built, if testing shows that the levels of radon are above the Health Canada threshold of 200 Becquerel per metres cubed (a Becquerel is a unit of radioactivity), an extraction system will be easy to install because of the existing rough-in.

For the purpose of your addition building permit application, a rough-in detail drawing is required to show a sealed air barrier, an open end pipe to collect soil gas, granular material beneath the slab, and a capped/labelled stub up for future use.

For more information on radon mitigation, please contact Health Canada. If you have specific questions regarding installation requirements for your radon rough-in, please contact our Technical Assistance Centre or call 311.

Step 3: Apply

To apply online, you need a myID account. Create a myID account.

We’re currently experiencing higher than seasonal application volumes, we apologize for delays. To check the status of your permit, go to vista.calgary.ca and enter in your Job Access Code (JAC) number

Apply in person

Once you have gathered all required documents, you can apply for your permit in person by visiting the Planning Services Centre.

Complete Application Requirement

An application for a permit may be refused if, within ninety (90) days from the date of receipt, adequate information and documentation is not supplied as requested by the Safety Codes Officer. Should a permit be considered for refusal the applicant will be given notification in writing and 30 days to resubmit the missing information. For more information, please review Building Advisory A19-002 Building Permit Complete Application

Step 4: Track

After you submit your application online, you will get a confirmation email with a Job Access Code (JAC).

To track your application and check its status, enter your Job Access Code in Vista.

If you need help or have questions, contact our Planning Services Centre

Step 5: Changes

Step 6: Inspect

Visit Building inspections for information on how to book an inspection, cancel or reschedule, permit expiry and the applicable requirements for each inspection type.

Building permit inspections you will need


Framing (rough-in) inspection requirements:

  • Install and complete any structural changes.
  • Install and complete all the wall and ceiling framing.
  • Install proposed windows and exterior doors.
  • Install and complete any HVAC changes.
  • Rough-in, install and complete all plumbing and electrical components that are required under associated permits.
  • Do not install insulation, vapour barrier or drywall over any work that requires inspection prior to concealing.

Book an inspection

Inspections occur Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The City continues to do our best to accommodate booking requests, however some dates may be unavailable due to inspection capacity. Inspections can continue to be booked up to 10 business days in advance.

You will receive a confirmation e-mail on the morning of your inspection that states your inspection window (8 a.m. to noon or noon to 4 p.m.). If you have not received an email by 8:30 a.m. on inspection day, please call 311.


Call 311 to book an inspection over the phone.


If you have a Vista account:

If you do not have a Vista account:

Planning Services Centre

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (MT)

Live chat:


In person: 
Planning Services Centre,
3rd floor, Municipal building 
800 Macleod Trail SE

Book an eAppointment for in person services at appointment.calgary.ca

Click before you dig

Always contact Utility Safety Partners before you dig. Submit a locate request online or call 1-800-242-3447 for more information.

This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The City of Calgary accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically. ​