Attached garages and carports, pergolas, greenhouses, sunrooms, covered decks and porches.

Step 1: Review the rules and fees for your project

When is a permit required?

All additions will require one or more permits.

Your addition will require a building safety approval (building permit). Depending on the address of the house, and the size and location of the addition, planning approval may also be required (development permit).


Planning Approval - Development Permit Prior (to construction) Permit fee Permit fee Development Completion Inspection Total
Planning Approval - Development Permit Prior (to construction): Addition to a manufactured home 10 square meters or less Permit fee: $182 Permit fee: $0 Development Completion Inspection: $0 Total: $182
Planning Approval - Development Permit Prior (to construction): Addition to a manufactured home greater than 10 square meters Permit fee: $295 Permit fee: $0 Development Completion Inspection: $155 Total: $450
Planning Approval - Development Permit Prior (to construction): Addition to a detached or attached home (2 units or less) that is 10 square meters or less and in the developed area Permit fee: $365 Permit fee: $30 Development Completion Inspection: $0 Total: $395
Planning Approval - Development Permit Prior (to construction): Addition to a detached or attached home (2 units or less) that is greater than 10 square meters and in the developed area
Permit fee: $590 Permit fee: $30 Development Completion Inspection: $155 Total: varies
Planning Approval - Development Permit Prior (to construction): Addition with a relaxation to a land use bylaw rule in the developing area Permit fee: $365 Permit fee: $30 Development Completion Inspection: $155 Total: $550
Planning Approval - Development Permit Prior (to construction): * An additional $472 service grades fee will be applied to most applications

See the planning applications fee schedule for a complete list of planning application fees.

Building Safety Approval - Building Permit
Building Safety Approval - Building Permit:
undefined: Permit fee undefined: Safety Codes Council Fee (4%) undefined: Total
Building Safety Approval - Building Permit: Addition 400 square feet or less
undefined: $321 undefined: $12.84 undefined: $333.84
Building Safety Approval - Building Permit: Addition greater than 400 square feet undefined: $1,252 undefined: $50.08 undefined: $1,302.08

See the building permit fee schedule for a complete list of building permit application fees.

Do you meet the exempt additions rules in the Land Use Bylaw? (Part 5, Division 1, Section 365)

You meet this rule if:

  • your addition is on the upper floor, does not exceed the existing roof height and is under 10 m²
  • your addition is on the main floor at the front of the house, does not extend forward more than 1.5 m from the original front facade, meets the corresponding height requirements and is under 40 m²
  • your addition is on the main floor at the rear of the house, does not extend back more than 4.6 m from the original rear facade, meets the corresponding height requirements and is under 40 m²

Note: your total addition area cannot exceed 40 m² to meet the addition exemption rules.

Energy efficiency requirements

All additions must comply with the energy efficiency requirements under Section 9.36 of the Alberta Building Code.

Parcel coverage

Parcel coverage by all buildings cannot exceed a certain percentage of your total property size. This percentage is dictated by your specific land use district​. See the graph below to determine your allowable lot coverage.

Land Use District Allowable Coverage (%) Parcel Area <= 300 m2
Parcel wdith < 10 m2
Parcel Area <= 300 m2
Parcel wdith < 8.7 m2
Parcel width > 11 m Semi-Detached / Duplex Row / Townhouse
40 x x x x x
45 x x x x x
R-C1N 45 50 x x x x
R-1N 50 x 60 45 x x
R-2 45 x x x 50 x
R-2M 45 x x x 50 60
*Parcel coverage rules for R-CG change as density increases.

Note: If the aggregate area of all accessory buildings is under 10m2, those structures will not contribute to parcela piece of land. coverage.

To calculate lot coverage, you will need to divide the footprint area of all applicable buildings by the property size.

(Total building area ÷ property area) × 100 = lot coverage per cent


  1. Use the property information tool and the graph above to figure out the allowable coverage for the property.
    R-C1 = 45%
  2. Calculate the property area.
    10.36 m × 32.0 m = 331.52 m2
  3. Add all applicable building areas:
    house: 77.2 m2
    covered deck: 9.3 m2
    shed: 10.2 m2
    garage: 40.8 m2
    Total building area = 137.5 m2
  4. Divide the total building area by the property area and times that by 100 to get a percentage.
    total building area = 137.5 m2 × 100 = 41.47%
    property area = 331.52 m2

R-C1 allows for a maximum lot coverage of 45 per cent. Therefore, the proposal comes within the allowable lot coverage.​​​​

Building setbacks

The setback requirements for existing and new structures are the same.

For all residential districts, except R-C1L/R-C1Ls, there is a 1.2 m requirement for both side property lines where the property has a lane. Where the property does not have a lane or a front attached garage a 1.2 m side setback on one side, and 3 m on the other is required.

If your property is in a developing district, a 3.0 m front setback is required where the property is laned and a 2.0 m setback where it is laneless. If your property is in a developed district, other than R-C1L, a 1.5 m allowance is subtracted from the contextual front setback to determine the minimum front setback for the proposed addition. However, the front setback cannot be less than 3.0 m. The district R-C1L is an exception. In this district, the minimum front setback is 6.0 m.

All low density residential properties, except R-MH, require a 7.5 m required setback from the rear property line.

Projections into setback areas

All low density residential properties must have at least one side setback free and clear of all projections (i.e. cantilevers, window wells, air conditioning units).

The maximum length of any projection in a setback area is 3.1 m.

Portions of a building may project 0.6 m into the side setback, while not being located closer than 0.9 m to the front facade. Air conditioning units can project 1.0 m and window wells can project 0.8 m.

There may be no projections in the 3 m required side setback on properties without a lane or a front attached garage.

Landings and stairs may project without limits into the side setback, if:

  • They provide access to the main or lower floor.
  • The landing area does not exceed 2.5 m2.
  • The landing is accessible from front and back.
  • No more than 1.8 m2 of the landing is in the setback.
  • There cannot be any projections into the 3 m required side setback on properties without a lane or a front attached garage.

On a corner parcel, the regular projection rules apply; however, no projection can be located within 3.0 m of the back of the public sidewalk, or the curb where there is no public sidewalk.

Safety standards for residential additions

You may require drawings that are signed and sealed by a professional engineer licensed to practice in Alberta if:

  • You are using a grade beam and pile foundation system.
  • You are using a non-engineered roof truss system.
  • You are using a preserved wood foundation (PWF).
  • Any of your structural details are not covered by the National Building Code (Alberta Edition).

For detailed and complete safety code information, please refer to the Alberta Municipal Affairs and Housing Safety at

Asbestos abatement

You must declare whether or not the project area contains asbestos, and if so, you must declare that the asbestos has been properly removed from the project area. These declarations can be made using the Asbestos Abatement Information Form which must be provided at time of application.

Adding a bathroom or increasing the intensity of utilities

If you are planning additional plumbing (like a new bathroom, kitchen or laundry room) or increasing your potential water consumption in any way, you may be charged an additional grades fee for updating the existing utilities. This fee is also required for any addition over 10 m2 in area.

New home buyer protection program

A new Home Buyer Warranty may be required if your addition is 75 per cent or more of the existing house square footage. For more information about the warranty in reference to additions, see the reconstruction bulletin on Alberta Municipal Affairs Registrar Bulletins page. Visit the new home warranties page or call 1-866-421-6929 for general information.

Radon requirement

The National Building Code (Alberta Edition) requires a radon remediation system rough-in installation for all new construction projects. If you are adding to the footprint of your home, this will affect your renovation.

Radon is a naturally occurring gas that is invisible, odourless and tasteless. When diluted by the air, it does not cause problems. When concentrated in enclosed space, however, it has been linked to serious health issues.

The rough-in installation allows for future remediation of radon gas, if required. After the space is built, if testing shows that the levels of radon are above the Health Canada threshold of 200 Becquerel per metres cubed (a Becquerel is a unit of radioactivity), an extraction system will be easy to install because of the existing rough-in.

For the purpose of your addition building permit application, a rough-in detail drawing is required to show a sealed air barrier, an open end pipe to collect soil gas, granular material beneath the slab, and a capped/labelled stub up for future use.

For more information on radon mitigation, please contact Health Canada. If you have specific questions regarding installation requirements for your radon rough-in, please contact our Technical Assistance Centre or call 311.

Step 2: Prepare your application

  • Use the addition permit checklist to determine the application and drawing requirements for your project.
  • For online applications, review our criteria​ for submitting your plans and documents.
  • Complete plans and collect supporting documents. Review the sample drawings if needed.

Sample drawings

You can use these sample drawings as a reference while preparing your application

Step 3: Apply

Apply online

In order to get started, create a myID account.

​​​​Create a myID account​​

Businesses can register for a myID business account. A business account is intended for myID services to be submitted on behalf of a business or organization. Please follow the steps outlined on the myID business account page.

In person
Once you have gathered all required documents, you can apply for your permit in person by visiting the Planning Services Centre. To skip the line, book an appointment.

Step 4: Inspections and managing your permit application

Planning Services Centre

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:15p.m. (MT)

Live chat:


3rd floor, Municipal building
800 Macleod Trail SE

Click before you dig

Always contact Alberta One Call before you dig. Submit a locate request online or call 1-800-242-3447 for more information.


This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The City of Calgary accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically. ​