Alert | State of Local Emergency in Effect

City declares State of Local Emergency. Water restrictions and Fire ban in place. Our water is safe to drink.

Water Saving Tips, FAQs, more information

Build a new home

Find out more information on permits, application requirements, and common rules

Before you apply

Use this page to help guide you through submitting a complete application. We will explain when you need a permit, what permits you need, what your application requirements are and go over some common rules relating to your project.

Do you need a permit?

Yes. New house construction will always require a building permit. Additional permits may be required depending on your house's location, design or other factors.

Building safety approval (building permit)

Building safety approval in the form of a Single Construction Permit (SCP) is required to make sure that new single detached, semi-detached or duplex dwellings meet the safety code requirements. A Single Construction Permit includes:

  • The required building permit
  • The required trade permits, such as plumbing, electrical, gas, and HVAC
  • Secondary suite when located within the house (i.e. a basement suite)

Additional permits are required for:

  • Semi-detached dwellings. One SCP is required for each side of the semi.
  • Detached garages. For garage requirements, visit
  • Backyard suites. For backyard suite requirements, visit

Review the construction (building code information)  section of this page for more information.

When do you need additional permits?

You may require additional permits depending on what you are building. For example:

  • Separate structures on the same parcel, such as a detached garage, would require separate building and trade permits, or 
  • If your building does not meet the rules of the Land Use Bylaw it would require a development permit.
  • Building a new home?

    Participate in the Home Energy Label - New home pilot

    Participating builders can opt into the program through the building permit application process and receive a $250 rebate for each energy label up to a maximum of $7,500 per applicant.

    Home energy labels benefit builders, home owners and potential buyers. The EnerGuide label is recognized nationally and can be used to compare the energy performance of your home to others. Investments you make in energy efficiency at the construction stage will pay off in lower energy bills for new homeowners.

    Learn more about program eligibility, how to apply and receive your rebates by visiting

Related links

Planning approval (development permit)

A development permit is required when:

  • You are building in a developed area
  • The proposed development is listed as discretionary in the Land Use District.
  • You are requesting a relaxation to the Land Use Bylaw
  • You are building on a parcel where the land use redesignation is R-Gm
  • If the parcel does not have existing city services.

To find out what your land use district is and for a list of common rules, read more in the what are the rules section.


A demolition permit is required when the existing house on the property is being demolished or moved to a new location. The demolition permit must be applied for before the building permit for the new house can be submitted. If your new house needs a development permit, the demolition permit can be submitted after the development permit.

Visit for more information.


Depending on the type of structure being built, subdivision may take place before or after development permit application. In some instances, you can apply for subdivision after your structure has been built, but it is beneficial to initiate this process prior to applying for your development permit.

Visit for more information.

Electrical permit

You do not need a separate electrical permit when applying for a Single Construction Permit (SCP).

However, if you are building a detached garage or other accessory residential building, a separate electrical permit is required.

If you are doing the work yourself, you may be eligible for a homeowners electrical permit. Review the electrical wiring section of homeowner electrical and plumbing permits for more information.

If you are hiring someone to do the work for you, they will need to apply for the permit. Visit our hiring a contractor page for more information.

If you are a contractor, visit our trade permit contractor page for more information.

Plumbing permit

You do not need a separate plumbing permit when applying for a SCP.

However, if you are building an accessory residential building with plumbing (such as a sink) then a separate plumbing permit is required.

For more information about what type of electrical work a homeowner may obtain a permit for, review the homeowners permits eligibility and plumbing permit sections.

For information for contractors, visit the trade permit contractor information page.

How much will it cost?

Building safety approval - Building permit Fee schedule Permit fee Partial permit Lot grading fee Water fee Safety codes council fee (4%) Total
New single, semi-detached or duplex dwelling

building permit fee schedule

Varies $112 + $10.14 per every $1000 in construction value

$94 Varies $20 per ground floor unit Varies $26.13 per unit Varies      Minimum $4.50 Varies

Use the building permit fee calculator for new homes to determine your fees.

Planning approval

Planning approval - Development permit (if applicable) Fee schedule Permit fee Grades fee Advertising fee Development completion inspection Total
Single detached, Semi-detached or duplex dwelling in the developed area

planning applications fee schedule

$1124 $472 $30 $233 $1859

Contextual dwellings in the developed area

planning applications fee schedule

$373 $472 - $233 $1078

Off-site levies

Off-site levies​ are paid to The City of Calgary to help with the cost of off-site infrastructure (not located or occurring at the site of construction). Examples of this off-site infrastructure include water and wastewater treatment facilities, major roads, bridges and traffic signals. This levy is charged on new homes, if a levy has not previously been paid on a property.


In some circumstances and at the discretion of the development authority, a security deposit may be accepted to allow the occupancy of a building before the development is completed. For example, there may be instances where the interior of a home may be ready for occupancy, but it is not possible for the cladding or landscaping to be completed immediately.

Once the development is complete, the site will be inspected, and the security funds will be returned if the site complies with the approved development permit. In the event the development is not completed, The City may utilize the security funds held to complete the outstanding work on the site, bringing it into compliance.

How do you pay for a permit?

Online submissions

For online submissions you will pay your permit fees in full at the time of your application using a credit card

In person submissions

You will be required to pay in full at the time of your application. You may pay by credit or debit card, cheque or cash.

How long will it take to get a permit?

Timelines indicated are not a guarantee and depend on volumes, application completeness, and the applicant’s timely replies to additional information requests from the City.

Tip: To avoid delays in processing your application, make sure your application includes all the required documents, plans and information listed on the checklist below. 


See the tips for a smooth application for details on submitting a complete application.

Building safety approval - Building permit Our process Timeline
New houses Application is reviewed for bylaw and safety codes compliance Approximately 21 days

Planning approval timelines

Planning approval - Development permit (if applicable) Our process Timeline
Single detached, semi-detached or duplex dwelling in the developed area
  • 90 days to decision
  • 21 days advertisement/appeal period
10 - 12 weeks
Contextual dwellings in the developed area
  • 60 days to decision
8-10 weeks

Review our Development permit process page for more information about the planning approval process.

When does your permit expire?

Permit type Expiry (from date of issuance)
Building permit 180 days
Contractor trade permit 330 days
Homeowner permit 330 days
Development permit

Your permit conditions will outline your commencement date. Commencement date is the day you must start construction by for the Development permit to be valid. If you do not start construction by that date, you can request an extension of commencement. You can apply to extend commencement up to 90 days before the assigned commencement date, but not past this date.

You will receive a permit expiry reminder in the mail. If you need more time, you can extend your permit. Visit the extend or reinstate your permit page.

Do you need to hire a professional?

You will need to hire the relevant trade contractors for a Single Construction permit. The business name and City of Calgary Business ID numbers need to be included with your application.

You will need to provide:

  • General contractor
  • Electrical contractor
  • Forced air heating contractor
  • Gas contractor
  • Plumbing contractor
  • Trenching contractor

If you will have a gas fireplace:

  • Gas fireplace installer

If you will have in-floor heating:

  • Hydronic heating contractor

Visit our hiring a contractor page to review the 5 steps to choosing a contractor.

Professional architects or engineers

An architect or professional engineer may be required to design and inspect your project. Refer to the current National Building Code – Alberta Edition, Division C, Section 2.4.2 or a consultant to determine if professional involvement is required. Where professional involvement is required, plans or documents must be stamped by the corresponding professional(s).​​

If your project requires engineer’s review, then a seal of professional engineer registered to practice in the province of Alberta for the proposed design should be provided. The engineer should be registered with APEGA- The Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta. Please visit APEGA website for professional engineer’s stamp authentication requirements. 

What are the rules when designing your project?

The following information will help you prepare your building permit application, and make sure it meets the City’s requirements.

Where are you building?

Land Use Bylaw information

All residential properties in Calgary will be reviewed to ensure compliance with the City of Calgary’s Land Use Bylaw. This approval is based on the land use district (commonly referred to as zoning). The Land Use Bylaw also sets rules for building form, density, and location.

The Land Use Bylaw specifies a list of allowable uses for each land use district based on what the intent is for that location. Uses will be listed as either permitted or discretionary, but if the use is not listed in a land use district, that activity will not be allowed to operate from that location.

Developed or developing?

When The City introduced a new Land Use Bylaw in 2008, Calgary was divided into two areas: the developed area, which included substantially developed communities at the time, and the developing area, which included communities still in the process of completion.

The developed area includes land use districts with rules that depend on the size and placement of buildings on neighbouring properties.

In the developing area, the land use districts do not have rules that depend on the nature of the neighbouring properties.

Contextual or discretionary?

In developed districts, a development permit is always required. There are two different application types, contextual or discretionary.

Contextual applications follow a strict set of design guidelines, with no relaxations to the Land Use Bylaw allowed. This speeds up processing time but offers less design flexibility. Applications for contextual dwellings are permitted uses and meet all bylaw requirements may not be refused by The Development Authority or appealed. For more information about contextual dwellings, visit

Discretionary applications allow designs outside the contextual requirements and may include relaxations to the Land Use Bylaw. This type of application reduces certainty of approval and increases processing time but allows for more flexibility in the placement and design of the house.​​

If you are unsure if your scope of work requires a development permit, contact the planning services centre.

For more information about appeals, visit Calgary Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (

Flood hazard areas

The Land Use Bylaw specifies three different flood hazard levels: floodway, flood fringe and overland flow. To determine whether a property is within one of these areas, consult the online map tool. Design requirements and restrictions vary depending on the flood hazard level of your property.

Rules for properties within flood hazard areas:

  • New buildings or other new structures are not allowed within the floodway. However, it is possible to replace existing dwellings and secondary suites on the same building footprint.
  • No alterations can be made to a floodway or any structures (i.e. decks, fences, berms, etc.) within a floodway, unless they are constructed by, or on behalf of, The City for the purpose of erosion control (to protect public infrastructure).
  • Generally, all buildings must be setback the greater of the following distances:
  • 6.0 m from the edge of the floodway
  • 60.0 m from the edge of the Bow River
  • 30.0 m from the edge of the Elbow River, Nose Creek or West Nose Creek
  • Contextual dwellings are no longer permitted in the floodway.
  • All new houses will require a backflow valve if located in the floodway, flood fringe or overland flow areas.
  • All new houses must build the main floor level and any mechanical and electrical equipment above the flood level.

A more comprehensive list of municipal restrictions placed on lands designated floodway, flood fringe or overland flow can be viewed in Part 3, Division 3 of the Land Use Bylaw.

Landfill setbacks

Landfill setbacks are restrictions on property development for areas close in proximity to an active or non-operating landfill. These restrictions exist to prevent undesirable groundwater seepage into new developments.

New houses are one of the prohibited uses when located within landfill setbacks and must not be within:

  • 450 m of the working area of a landfill or the disposal area of a non-operating hazardous waste facility.
  • 300 m of the disposal area of a landfill or the working area of an operating storage site.

If any part of the house falls within the landfill setback area, the building is considered to be within the setback.

For more information, visit landfill setbacks.

Where can you build on your property?

Building setbacks

The setback requirements for existing and new structures are the same.

Side setbacks

R-C1, R-C1s, R-C1N, R-C2, R-1, R-1s, R-1N, R-2, R-2M, R-MH, R-CG, R-CGex, R-G, R-Gm

  • For laned properties, both side setbacks must be a minimum of 1.2 m.
  • For properties without a lane or front attached garage, there must be a minimum of 1.2m on one side, and 3m on the other.
  • Side setback requirements vary for corner parcels and parcels with a Maintenance Access Right of Way, also called zero lot lines. Contact the Planning Services Centre if you are unsure of your setback requirements.

R-C1L, R-C1Ls

  • For laned properties, both side setbacks must be a minimum of 2.4m.
  • For properties without a lane or front attached garage, there must be a minimum of 2.4m on one side, and 3m on the other.

Front setback

R-1, R-1s, R-1N, R-2, R-2M, R-G, R-Gm

  • A 3.0 m front setback is required where the property is laned and a 2.0 m setback where it is laneless.

R-C1, R-C1s, R-C1N, R-C2, R-CG, R-CGex

  • If your property is in a developed district, a 1.5 m allowance is subtracted from the contextual front setback to determine the minimum front setback for the proposed addition. However, the front setback cannot be less than 3.0 m.


  • A 3.0m front setback is required for manufactured homes located on an individual parcel.

R-C1L, R-C1Ls

  • A minimum of 6.0 m is required for all properties.

Rear setback

R-C1, R-C1s, R-C1N, R-C1L, R-C2, R-1, R-1s, R-1N, R-2, R-2M

  • A minimum of 7.5 m is required for all properties.


  • A 3.0 m rear setback is required for manufactured homes located on an individual parcel.

R-CG, R-CGex

  • A 1.2 m rear setback is required for buildings on laned or corner properties.
  • For all other properties, the building setback must be a minimum of 7.5 m.

R-G, R-Gm

  • A minimum of 0.6 m is required for laned parcels if all required parking stalls are provided in a private garage on the property and has direct access to the lane.
  • A minimum of 1.2 m is required when the rear property line is shared with a carriage house lot, if all parking stalls are provided in a private garage on the property.
  • A minimum of 5.0m is required for laneless parcels if all required parking stalls are provided in a private garage on the property.
  • If none of the above apply, the minimum rear setback is 7.5 m.

Projections into setback areas

Projections into setback areas

  • All low-density residential properties must have at least one side setback free and clear of all projections less than 2.4 m above grade, such as cantilevers.
  • The maximum length of any projection in a setback area is 3.1 m.
  • Portions of a building may project 0.6 m into the side setback, while not being located closer than 0.9 m to the nearest front facade. Air conditioning units can project 1.0 m. Window wells can project 0.8 m into any side setback area.
  • Landings and stairs may project into the side setback, if:
    • They provide access to the main or lower floor.
    • The landing area does not exceed 2.5 m2.
    • The landing is accessible from front and back.
    • No more than 1.8 m2 of the landing is in the setback.
  • There cannot be any projections into the 3 m required side setback on properties without a lane or a front attached garage.
  • On a corner parcel, the regular projection rules apply; however, no projection can be located within 3.0 m of the BOW or FOC.

What design rules do you need to meet?

Parcel coverage

Parcel coverage by all buildings cannot exceed a certain percentage of your total property size. This percentage is dictated by your specific land use district​. See the graph below to determine your allowable lot coverage.

Land use district Allowable coverage (%) Parcel area <= 300 m2 Parcel width < 10 m2 Parcel area <= 300 m2 Parcel width < 8.7 m2 Parcel width > 11 m Semi-detached/duplex Row/townhouse
R-C1L, R-C1Ls 40 x x x x x
R-C1, R-C1s, R-C2, R-1, R-1s, R-MH, R-CG* 45 x x x x x
R-C1N 45 50 x x x x
R-1N 50 x 60 45 x x
R-2 45 x x x 50 x
R-2M 45 x x x 50 60

*Parcel coverage rules for R-CG change as density increases.

Note: If the aggregate area of all accessory buildings is under 10m2, those structures will not contribute to parcel coverage.

To calculate lot coverage, you will need to divide the footprint area of all applicable buildings by the property size.

(Total building area ÷ property area) × 100 = lot coverage percent

Example: Use the property information tool and the graph above to figure out the allowable coverage for the property.

R-C1 = 45%

Calculate the property area

10.36 m × 32.0 m = 331.52 m2

Add all applicable building areas:

77.2 m2

covered deck:

9.3 m2


10.2 m2


40.8 m2

Total building area

= 137.5 m2

Divide the total building area by the property area and times that by 100 to get a percentage.

[(total building area = 137.5 m2) / (property area = 331.52 m2)] X 100 = 41.47%

R-C1 allows for a maximum lot coverage of 45 percent. Therefore, the proposal comes within the allowable lot coverage.​​​​

Note: In some districts, the maximum parcel coverage must be reduced by 21.0 square meters for each required parking stall that is not provided in a private attached, or detached garage.

Developed areas

If you are building a home in the developed areas, you will want to review any applicable policies in your area. This includes the low density residential housing guidelines for established communities or any applicable area redevelopment plan.

You can find out what policies are applicable for your property on the map.

Construction information (building code) to consider when designing your building

Lot grades

An as constructed grade certificate is required to show the design and as-constructed grades of the property. The survey must be done by a registered land surveyor, professional engineer, or registered architect. The submission must be made within 12 calendar months of when the permission to occupy is issued.

The certificate must be submitted to Water Resources to confirm that the surface elevation and grades of the property were constructed within the lot grading tolerance guidelines. The submission must include a plot plan of the final existing grades, along with the certification form.

For more information on lot grading, sample forms and submission, contact 311.

New home warranty

All new homes built in Alberta are required to provide home warranty coverage.

The warranty must include at minimum:

  • One year for labour and materials;
  • Two years for defects in labour and materials related to heating, plumbing and electrical systems;
  • Five years for building envelope protection; and
  • 10 years coverage for major structural components.

Visit for more information.

Plumbing Quick Trench Program

If the excavation contractor is a quick trench contractor, they can perform the excavation and installation of water, sewer and storm piping to the dwelling as per the conditions of the program.

  • The installation must meet specific installation requirements outlined by The City of Calgary.
  • The Plumbing Quick Trench Program is a privilege which The City retains the right to revoke at any time.
  • Plumbing safety codes officers will perform intermittent audit inspections if a trench is open to verify that the installation meets The City requirements.
  • If the installation fails, a red sticker will be placed on the piping or an inspection notice will be left in the permit pouch, and the trench must not be backfilled.

Roof soffits

Roof soffits are not permitted within 0. 45 m (1’6”) of the property line.

Roof soffits within 1.2 m (4’- 0”) of any property line are not allowed to have any openings and must be a non-vented soffit. The soffit material can be either:

  • sheet steel
  • unvented aluminum
  • ½” gypsum soffit or ceiling board
  • ½” plywood
  • ½” Orientated Strand Board (OSB) or waferboard
  • ½” lumber

Smoke and carbon monoxide detector requirements

Smoke detectors are required in all bedrooms and hallways servicing bedrooms. They must be hard-wired and interconnected throughout the house. If there are no hallways servicing bedrooms in your basement, smoke detectors are required within common areas.

Refer to Division B, 9.10.19.  for smoke detector and Division B, for carbon monoxide detector in National Building Code – Alberta Edition.

Energy efficiency requirements

All new home are required to meet energy efficiency requirements under Section 9.36 of the Alberta Building Code. If the application for the building of the house was submitted on or after Nov. 1, 2016 any new renovations must comply with these energy efficiency requirements.

All new homes must include building construction and mechanical components (furnaces, air conditioners, water heaters, etc.) that perform as well as, or better than, any similar existing construction or mechanical components that are in the home or that are being replaced. All changes must also meet applicable National Building Code (Alberta Edition) requirements.

New heating, ventilation, air conditioning and service water heating systems are always required to be properly certified.

New work and replacement of "like for like" mechanical components and systems normally requires building, gas and/or electrical permits. Please see the Alberta Permit Regulation and the Calgary Building Permit Bylaw for details.

When maintaining and repairing building components or mechanical components in homes, replacements are allowed as long as you replace the component with a similar material or part that performs as well as, or better than, what you are replacing. This includes exterior cladding, windows, doors, mechanical systems, etc.

Door widths requirements

Mechanical room: Your mechanical/furnace room or laundry room is required a minimum 32" wide door.  All doorways that lead to this room must also be minimum 32" in width.

Washroom: Doorways to rooms with a bathtub, shower or water closet should be a minimum of 30” wide.


Radon is a naturally occurring gas that is invisible, odourless and tasteless. When diluted by the air around us, it does not cause problems. However, when concentrated in an enclosed space, it has been linked to serious health issues.

To test for radon in your home, you can purchase a do-it yourself test or hire a radon professional. Once your basement has been tested, if it shows that the levels of radon are above the Health Canada threshold of 200 becquerels per cubic metre (200 Bq/m3) then a radon remediation system could be installed. For more information, visit Health Canada's Guide for Radon Measurements in Residential Dwellings (Homes).

A radon remediation system rough-in installation is not a building code requirement for existing homes. If you are adding to the footprint of your home, then a radon remediation system rough-in is required for the addition. Review our additions page for more information.

For more information on radon mitigation, contact Health Canada.

If you have questions regarding installation requirements for your radon rough-in, contact the Technical Assistance Centre.

Building code questions

If you have questions or need clarification on the Building code information above, contact the Technical Assistance Centre.

For all other inquiries contact our Planning Services Centre.

Airport Vicinity Protection Area

Properties surrounding the Calgary airport are subject to the Airport Vicinity Protection Area (AVPA) Regulation. This regulation governs land use development and ensures that only compatible land uses are developed that will not impede or negatively affect the operations of the airport, including its runway arrivals and departures. The regulation also specifies heightened sound protection requirements for dwellings and structures built within the AVPA. Visit Airport Vicinity Protection Area for more information.

Sustainable homes

Home Energy Label Program – New home pilot rebate

The Home Energy Label Program empowers Calgarians to understand their home’s energy use and make informed decisions to reduce their energy costs and greenhouse gas emissions using the EnerGuide Rating System.

We are currently accepting applicants to the pilot program. Participating builders or owners, can receive a $250 rebate per application, up to a maximum of $7,500 per applicant during the pilot program.

How to prepare your application

Step 1
Prep the application & details

You will need to know:

  • The project address
  • Who is applying (the homeowner or someone representing the owner)
  • List of contractors and their Business IDs
  • Project details
  • Determine if you will need the following:
Do you need:

Temporary gas for construction heat?

Will you be doing construction during a colder season?

Will you require temporary gas for heating purposes during construction?

Ground work inspection?

This additional inspection looks at plumbing ground work in the basement, which may be covered up before the pre-board inspection.

Hydronic heat inspection?

This inspection is required if you are installing hydronic in-floor heating that will be covered up before the pre-board inspection.

Reclaimed water system?

Will you be installing a reclaimed water system?

This may be rainwater, storm water or wastewater and must be accompanied by a set of drawings and specifications. There must be a monitoring maintenance plan included with the drawings and available at the final inspection, prescribing how water quality will be maintained.

Quick trench program?

Are you participating in the quick trench program and having a trenching contractor install the sewer system into the new home?

Partial permit?

Are you planning to start work before the full permit is released? A partial permit is available when you apply, as long as all of the application requirements have been met.

Note: A partial permit allows you to build up to main floor sub-floor. The builder is liable for all building code and Land Use Bylaw infractions that may arise during the full examination of the drawings.

New addresses

Before applying for a semi-detached dwelling, you are required to have two approved building addresses assigned by The City. This can be done by contacting our addressing department at 403-268-8127 or by emailing a copy of your site plan to

Step 2
Prep the documents and plans

Specific drawing and supporting document requirements are listed on the permit checklist:

Building permit checklists:

Development permit checklists:

You must provide all the required drawings and documents when you submit your application. If you are not sure which checklist to use, contact the Planning Services Centre.

Building permit application requirements

Supporting documents

  1. Completed 9.36 Project Summary Form. Visit for more information.
  2. Proof of registration from the Government of Alberta’s New Home Buyer Program – when applicable. Visit Residential Protection Program for more information
  3. Grade slip. For semi-detached dwellings, one copy for each side is required.


  • Site plan
    • A Site Plan is a “bird’s eye” 2-D representation of a property and includes the location and dimensions of property lines, structures on the property, rights-of-way and other features unique to the property.
    • Your site plan must show the location and dimensions of the proposed buildings and include the distance from each property line, site area and parcel coverage.
  • Building plans. Include:
    • Foundation plan.
      • If using preserved wood foundation or pile and grade beam, need to be signed and sealed by a Professional Engineer.
    • Floor plans for each floor of your house (i.e. basement, main floor, second floor, etc)
      • Label the purpose of how each room is used (i.e. kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, etc)
      • Size, type and operation of all bedroom windows.
    • Elevations
      • An elevation drawing is a 2D view of the exterior walls of the house
      • You will need to provide elevations for all sides of the house.
      • Indicate the locations and dimensions of all windows, doors and exterior stairs
    • Structural cross sections
      • The cross-section is a 2-D interior view of what the garage looks like inside.
      • Your drawing should include the interior wall height, building height, and all components of the wall, floor and roof assembly and the overall height of the new addition.
  • Construction details.
    • Show how the walls, floors, roof/ceiling will be built.
    • These include the type, size and spacing of framing materials, insulation (if applicable), sheathing, cladding and finish
  • Manufacturer’s floor joist layouts, roof layouts and the beam runs
    • You can obtain these from the manufacturers
  • Engineering Documents.
    • These are only required for construction not covered under the National Building Code – Alberta Edition.

Development permit application requirements

Supporting documents

  1. Certificate of Title and Restrictive Covenants, Utility Rights-of-Way, Easements or City Caveats registered to the Title.
  2. Letter of Authorization
  3. Colour photographs 
    • Photos should be in colour and should reflect the current state of the property
  4. Abandoned Well Declaration Form 
    • A map of the subject property showing the presence or absence of Abandoned Well Locations on GeoDiscover Alberta’s Map Viewer must be included with the form
    • Reference the User Guide to Finding Abandoned Wells for more information on how to locate your property
  5. Public Tree Disclosure Statement 
    • Indicate yes or no if there is a public tree on the City lands within six meters of and/or overhanging your property
    • If there are public trees, show these trees on your site plan and complete the rest of the form.
    • If you are not sure if there are public trees, you can use the city’s Tree Map (may not be up to date for your property) or contact 3-1-1 for a development tree inquiry.
  6. Site Contamination Statement 
    • Indicate yes or no to the questions to your knowledge. If yes, provide the requested additional information when required.



  1. Site plan
    • A site plan is a “bird’s eye” 2-D representation of a property and includes the location and dimensions of property lines, structures on the property, rights-of-way and other features unique to the property.
    • Your site plan must show the location and dimensions of the proposed buildings and include the distance from each property line, site area and parcel coverage.
    • You must indicate on the site plan all the required geodetic information, including parcel corners, main floor, roof peak, etc.
  2. Block plan
    • A block plan provides a visual representation of adjacent buildings to establish the context of a proposed development.
    • You can combine the site plan and block plan if both are still clear and legible.
  3. Streetscape drawings (only required for discretionary applications)
    • A streetscape drawing is used to assess the compatibility of scale and design with the existing neighboring houses
    • The streetscape will show the front elevation of the proposed building and the adjacent parcels required on the block plan
  4. Floor plans for each floor of your house (i.e. basement, main floor, second floor, etc)
    • Label the purpose of how each room is used (i.e. kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, etc)
    • Size, type and operation of all bedroom windows.
  5. Elevations
    • An elevation drawing is a 2D view of the exterior walls of the house
    • You will need to provide elevations for all sides of the house.
    • Indicate the locations and dimensions of all windows, doors and exterior stairs


Tips for a smooth application process

Before you apply

Download the checklist and check each application requirement as you prepare to submit your application. Items listed on the checklist are the minimum requirements. We might need more information after we review your application.

Provide all required documents on the checklist, including drawings, supporting material, and any additional forms. If you are not sure if something is required, contact the Planning Services Centre

Use sample drawings to review what you need to include on your plans

Double check your documents are completed and make sure you have all required items on your plans before you upload them

After you apply

The Planning Services Centre may contact you for more information required for your application. Follow-up on requests for more information as quickly as possible. 

Use the Job Access Code (JAC) to check status updates for your application on

  • You’ll get a JAC by e-mail after you’ve submitted your application. If you did not receive a JAC number, contact the Planning Services Centre.
  • Checking your application’s status using your JAC will provide you with timely updates about the status of your application

What is a complete application?

A complete application means that you have provided all the necessary requirements for our teams to complete their reviews. You should provide everything listed on the Complete Application Requirement List and the Guide to a Complete Application (if applicable), including plans, supporting documents and payment.

An application for a permit may be refused  if, within ninety (90) days from the date of receipt,  if adequate information and documentation is not supplied as requested by the Safety Codes Officer. Should a permit be considered for refusal, the applicant will be given notification in writing and 30 days to resubmit the missing information. For more information, please review Building advisory A19-002 building permit complete application.

Apply online

To apply online, you need a myID account. Create a myID account.

We’re currently experiencing higher than seasonal application volumes, we apologize for delays. To check the status of your permit, go to and enter in your Job Access Code (JAC) number

Apply in-person

Complete the application form.

Once you have gathered all required documents, you can apply for your permit in person by visiting the Planning Services Centre.

After you apply

How to check the status of your permit

After you submit your application online, you will get a confirmation email with a Job Access Code (JAC).

To track your application and check its status, enter your Job Access Code in Vista.

If you need help or have questions, contact our Planning Services Centre

What inspections do you need?

Inspections are booked in phases throughout the project. Before booking inspections, all work for that phase must be complete. It is not possible to schedule separate inspections for individual disciplines. The previous phase must pass all inspections before requesting an inspection for the next phase. If any discipline fails inspection, the entire phase will require re-inspection. However, only the areas that did not meet the standard will be inspected again.

Additional forms and documents may be required at certain inspection phases, such as:

  • As-built engineering,
  • Concrete verification,
  • Form A: manufactured stone used in exterior wall cladding systems
  • Reclaimed water design and specs,
  • Real property report,
  • Screw pile conformity report,
  • Soil bearing report
  • Soils test. 

These documents will be listed as permit conditions and will be requested through inspection reports. Failure to provide these documents at the time of inspection will result in failed inspections, and re-inspection fees may apply.

Groundwork inspection (if requested)

This inspection covers all piping, backwater valves and clean-outs required before the basement slab is poured and occurs before the pre-backfill inspection.

Pre-backfill phase

This phase of construction covers the foundation up to, and including, the subfloor, and prior to backfilling the excavation. This phase can be completed, and an inspection can be called under the partial permit, prior to the full permit being issued.

This phase of construction includes the following inspection types:

  • Building foundation
  • Electrical underground / quick trench
  • Plumbing sanitary and storm / quick trench

Pre-board phase

All inspections must have passed in the previous phase to continue to this phase.

This phase of construction includes the following inspection types:

  • Framing
  • Gas rough-in
  • Plumbing rough-in
  • Electrical rough-in
  • HVAC rough-in
  • Development inspection (if the project has a related development permit)
  • Radiant hydronic heating (as required)
  • Basement development (as required)
  • Wood burning stove or fireplace (as required)
  • Gas fireplace (as required)

All documents required per the grade slip and permit conditions need to be available to the inspector. See inspection documents for more information.

Additional documents typically required at this inspection:

  • Soil Bearing Report (SBR)
  • Sulphate Resistant Concrete verification (SRC)

Pre-possession phase

All inspections must be accepted from the previous phase to continue to this phase.

This phase of construction includes the following inspection types:

  • Building final
  • Gas final
  • Plumbing final
  • Electrical final
  • HVAC final

Development inspection final (if the project has a related development permit).

Development inspections

These inspections are completed to confirm that the construction of the building conforms with the approved development permit. The house is checked twice during construction, once at the pre-board phase and once at the pre-possession phase, which is when the development completion permit is finalized.

Surveys confirming the geodetics must be submitted twice during construction:

  1. Pre-board phase
    Building location and elevations match the approved development permit. Main floor geodetic elevation survey must be submitted to
  2. Pre-possession
    Roof peak geodetic survey must be submitted to

See inspection documents for more information.

How do you book your inspections?

Visit Building inspections for information on how to book an inspection, cancel or reschedule, permit expiry and the applicable requirements for each inspection type.


The permission to occupy document verifies that the house is safe to occupy and meets all applicable building codes and bylaws.

If the new home required a development permit, the building and development inspections are both carried out during the inspection phases. For occupancy to be given, the development and final building inspections must be passed. Applicants will receive a single permission to occupy document for their project once all final inspections are acceptable. The document indicates that the requirements of both the single construction permit and development completion permit have been met and the dwelling may be occupied.

If there was no development permit required, then occupancy will be issued once all the final building inspections have been passed and all deficiencies have been corrected.

For paper applications, the permission to occupy document is automatically emailed to the applicant. ePermit applicants can view and download the document online.

If the applicant did not receive the document, or it is no longer in ePermit, please contact the Planning Services Centre at 403-268-5311.

Make changes to your permit

Planning Services Centre

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. (MT)

Live chat:


In person: 
Planning Services Centre,
3rd floor, Municipal building 
800 Macleod Trail SE

Book an eAppointment for in person services at

This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The City of Calgary accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically. ​