Ask the Code - Troubled by substance abuse
Dear Code of Conduct,
I think I have a substance use problem. I want to get help and keep myself and others safe but I don’t want to lose my job - that will make things so much worse. What can I do?
- Troubled by substance abuse
Thank you for coming forward and talking about your problem. That takes courage. The City is committed to supporting employees who have alcohol and/or drug dependencies by accommodating them.
The City’s Substance Use Policy requires you to assume responsibility for your substance use problem and seek professional assistance, including following any recommended treatment and relapse prevention program following treatment.
There are a number of things you can do to get started:
- This Alberta Health link takes you to a website where you can fill out a personal assessment to help you understand if you do have a problem with substance abuse.
- You can talk about your concerns with your family doctor.
- You can call the Employee and Family Assistance Program at 1-877-700-1424 and meet with a substance use counsellor.
- You can contact a Corporate Health Consultant and ask for a meeting.
- You can speak to your leader or to your HR Business Advisory Business Partner.
For more information on how The City assists in addressing substance issues, please go to Sections 4 and 6 of the Substance Use Policy.
Get more information on The City’s duty to accommodate.