A municipal business licence is required for businesses that offer mobile food services.

Examples of businesses that do require municipal licensing:

  • Bicycle food vendors
  • Catering trucks
  • Food trailers
  • Food trucks
  • Pushcarts
  • Hot dog carts
  • Ice cream trucks
  • Grocery delivery
  • Fresh produce vendors

As part of The City’s efforts to accelerate the business license approvals process, customers with a myID business account can receive a digital copy of their business licence via email. This is available to customers applying for a new business licence or renewing an existing licence. To learn more about the benefits of a myID business account and to sign-up today, please visit myID business account (calgary.ca)

Fire inspection

All food trucks are required to call 311 and request a mobile food concession inspection to ensure the vehicle complies with all fire safety regulations.

Rules and regulations


A catering business can only provide alcohol with meals served in conjunction with catered events for private social functions (e.g. a wedding). A catering business can store alcohol at the business premises if it is not sold or consumption on or away from, or at the premises. In this situation, no alcohol beverage sales or liquor store licence is required.

If a catering business promotes or organizes a public event and sells tickets to the general public, it may require alcohol beverage sales, food service - premises, and entertainment establishment licence types.

Food truck versus food service – no premises

The key to determining which licence type is applicable is where the food is prepared and where the truck is located. Mobile food vendors that have the ability to prepare food on board and be driven are licensed as food trucks (full service food vehicles). Full service food vehicles can operate on both city streets and private property. Mobile food vendors that are not able to be driven (trailers, pushcarts, etc.) or only sell pre-prepared foods are licensed as food service – no premises and can only operate on private property.

There are other considerations when determining how a mobile food business is licensed. Food trucks must adhere to maximum dimensions, contain a full kitchen and prepare food to be sold directly to the public. Food service – no premises businesses do not require a self-contained kitchen and often sell pre-packaged food; these businesses are not limited to the size and vehicle requirements of food trucks. Pushcarts that operate outside of the downtown core are also licensed under the food service – no premises licence type.

Food trucks

  • A food truck cannot be over 10 metres (32’-9 5/8”) in length.
  • A commercial licence plate must be obtained through a registry office.
  • Wastewater must be disposed of at approved locations. Learn more about how and where to dispose of fats, oils and grease.
  • Streets, traffic, truck Route and wastewater bylaws must be complied.
  • There must be a licence for each mobile unit/location.
  • If operating on city streets, a public liability insurance policy of $2 million must be in place prior to licence issuance.

Prior to a business licence application:

  • An Alberta Health Services consultation is required if food is prepared in a commercial-grade kitchen within a home. Contact 1-833-476-4743 for more information.
  • A Home Occupation Class 2 Development Permit and a Commercial Building Permit may also be required. Contact the Planning Services Centre for further information.
  • Acquire a licence plate number.

Building regulations inspection

All full service food vehicles require a safety inspection to ensure compliance to all relevant provincial and federal safety codes. This is coordinated in conjunction with a business licence fire inspection above.

Food truck locations

Food trucks are allowed to operate from a number of locations across the city but additional permits or approvals may be required.

  • Operating from a street downtown (other than Stephen Avenue Mall, Barclay Mall or Eau Claire Market) requires a street use permit. The food truck must be at least 100 metres from a school and 25 metres from a food service establishment. Two trucks are allowed per block face.
  • Food trucks cannot operate in prohibited zones.
  • To operate a food truck in a City of Calgary park, written permission from the director of the Parks department is required. Visit booking food truck stalls for contact information, restrictions and fees.
  • On other city properties, such as in Transit or Calgary Parking Authority lots, written permission is needed by calling 311.
  • To operate from private property, written authorization from the property owner is needed.

Food trucks only on private property

Food trucks wishing to operate only on private property do not require to obtain a public liability insurance policy or provide and Indemnification Agreement. They are only able to operate from private property with written authorization from the property owner.

Food service – no premises

This licence type includes food prepared and stored in a vehicle, in a commercial kitchen (including catering trucks) or in a trailer. Some examples include: food trucks that only operate at festivals or only sell pre-prepared foods, pushcarts outside of downtown and bicycle vendors operating on roadways that do not meet the definition of pushcart. Ice cream trucks and catering trucks are licensed under this category. To operate a business on private property, written consent by the property owner must be obtained. This service can only be offered downtown between 7 a.m. and 3 a.m.

There must be a licence for each mobile unit/location.

Pushcart vendor

A portable cart or wagon (which may be attached to a bicycle) used for carrying goods to sell to the public fall under this category. This includes bicycle food vendors operating on downtown city sidewalks. Pushcarts can operate on public property but are limited to specific sites downtown.

Pushcarts operating downtown other than on Stephen Avenue Mall, Barclay Mall or Eau Claire Market can be located in either north or south downtown, as shown on the Downtown Pushcart Locations map. There are four designated sites in downtown south that are assigned by a lottery held on April 1 each year.

There are no pushcart vendors operating outside of downtown. These businesses would be licensed as food service – no premises, or retail dealer – no premises when selling non-food products. A statutory declaration and indemnification agreement must be completed upon application.

All pushcarts must apply for an annual approval with the Pushcart Approval application requirements list. Land use approval is also required for the location of operations.

Pushcarts have a maximum size of 1 metres wide and 1.5 metres long. No hitch is allowed to remain on the cart when set up.

You must have a licence for each mobile unit/location.

A public liability insurance policy of $2 million must be in place prior to licence issuance.

Downtown Association

If a business is operating on Stephen Avenue Mall, Barclay Mall or Eau Claire Market, approval from the Downtown Association.is needed.

Consider your required approvals

Once you apply for your business licence, outstanding approvals must be completed before the business licence is issued.

A business licence will often have multiple licence types associated with it. Below is a chart of all the related licence types that fall under this business activity. If your business requires multiple licence types, approval processes are only generated once per licence. For example, only one fire inspection is required even if multiple licence types require that inspection.

Required approvals

Licence Type Land use Police Fire Health Provincial AMVIC ID card
Food Service - No Premise Required Not required Not required Required Not required Not required Not required
Food Service - Premises Required Not required Required Required Not required Not required Not required
Full Service Food Vehicle Required Not required Required Required Not required Required Required
Pushcart Vendor Required Not required Not required Required Not required Not required Not required
Full Service Food Vehicle (private property) Required Not required Required Required Not required Not required Not required

​Land use approval​

All businesses in Calgary require land use approval. Each space in a building has its own specified, approved use that cannot be changed without an approval, permit or both.

To view the allowable uses within a land use district, refer to the Land Use Bylaw. To determine the land use district of a property, visit myProperty.

You can also refer to Commercial, industrial and mulit-residential for more information, or contact our Planning Services Centre at 403-268-5311 to investigate land use approval for your business.​​

Fire Prevention Bureau approval

Most businesses that operate from commercial premises require an inspection from the Fire Prevention Bureau before the licence can be issued. 

If a business licence is for a low fire-risk licence type, it can be issued if only the Fire approval is outstanding. Low fire-risk businesses need to have the fire inspection within 30 days of their licence being issued.

Before you book your inspection, you must be ready for business, which means:

  • Applicants must be in possession of the space/site
  • The business is ready to serve customers (e.g. shelves are stocked and fixtures are in place)
Business Licence Approval Type Timeline
Fire inspection 5 business days

To book your inspection contact 311 with your Business Identification (BID) number to request a Fire Inspection for Business Licence (call 403-268-2489 outside of Calgary) .

It can take up to 5 business days for an inspector to visit the space.

See the Fire Department Business Licence Checklist to see what is required for your inspection.

The Fire Prevention Bureau will notify the Licence Division with the results of the inspection.

This inspection must be performed by the Fire Prevention Bureau inspectors. This approval is in addition to any inspection done by the firefighting division, such as the occupancy inspection completed on your building permit.​​​​​

Alberta Health Services Approval (AHS)

An Alberta Health Services (AHS) location inspection is required to ensure public safety. Any business involving the sale, preparation, manufacturing or storage of food products requires this inspection. Any business involved in personal service such as aesthetics or massage is also required to have this inspection. Contact AHS at 1-833-476-4743 for more information and to book a date. 

Inspection results can be submitted:

If AHS advised you that your business type does not require a health inspection, please record the name of the individual you spoke with, their telephone number, and the reason provided.  Please provide these details to The City’s Planning Services Centre.

Please be aware of all current provincial public health restrictions for in-person dining.

Business Licence approval type Timeline
Alberta Health Services Contact AHS at 403-943-2288 for timelines

Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council (AMVIC)


The Alberta government requires a license for certain motor vehicle business activities.  You must contact the Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council (AMVIC) at 1-877-979-8100 for details about obtaining a provincial licence.

AMVIC requires confirmation of City planning approvals before they will issue a provincial AMVIC licence. Once AMVIC issues your provincial licence, you must provide it to The City of Calgary, which will then release your municipal business licence.

Applicants can present the AMVIC license:

  • In person at the Planning Services Centre:
    3rd floor
    800 Macleod Trail S.E.
    Calgary, AB

Photo Identification Cards


If your business type requires an ID card, you must apply in person at the Planning Services Centre:

  • Planning Services Centre:
    3rd floor
    800 Macleod Trail S.E.
    Calgary, AB

Two (2) pieces of valid, government issued identification are required, one of which must include photo identification. The Calgary Police Service outlines acceptable forms of identification. Be prepared to have your photograph taken at the Planning Services Centre, where your municipal photo identification card will be created.​


For business licence fees, see the Business Licence Fee Schedule. The business licence fee schedule is broken down by licence type. If your business requires multiple licence types, the highest category fee will be charged.

These fees do not include the costs related to required permits to meet land use approval, or any third-party approvals or inspections that may be required to obtain your licence.

How to apply


Apply now

If you need help when completing your application Live Chat with us, 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Monday to Friday.

We’re currently experiencing higher than seasonal application volumes, we apologize for delays. To check the status of your permit, go to vista.calgary.ca and enter in your Job Access Code (JAC) number.

In person

Apply in person at the Planning Services Centre

Additional information

Obtaining your business licence

A business license will be issued when  all outstanding approvals are complete. If you wish to inquire about the status of your licence, please contact the Planning Call Centre at 403-268-5311. 

The authorized business licence will be sent to the applicant in the mail, or if requested, can be held at our permit pick-up counter. When a commercial business is operational, the physical copy of your business licence must be posted in a highly visible location where the public can easily see it.

If you intend to make any changes to your business after receiving your licence, please visit Manage your business for more information.

How long is my licence good for?

Business licences expire one year from the issuance date. Forty-five days before the licence expires, a notice is mailed out advising the licensee of the expiry date. Any outstanding fines must be paid prior to renewal.

Business ownership changes

A business licence or business ID is not transferable from one person to another or from one person's business premises to another.

Multiple premises

A business operating from more than one location requires a separate business licence for each premises.

Licence type combinations

To ensure the proper approvals are generated for a business, multiple licence types may be attached to a single business licence. For example, a cabinet maker would require a manufacturer licence type; if the business is also installing the cabinets, a contractor licence type is required. Both licence types will appear on the same business licence document and only one renewal will be required.

Charitable organization

All charitable organizations must be associated with another licenced business activity. Approval must be granted by the province before applying for a municipal licence.

Businesses not eligible for a charity status:

  • Alcohol beverage sales
  • Tobacco retailer

All fundraising activity is governed by the charitable fundraising act. Charitable organizations that are only fundraising should contact Service Alberta, Consumer Services at 1-780-427-4088 or 1-877-427-4088.

All applicants for this licence type should first consult with the province about eligibility for this designation and register their business, prior to applying for a municipal business licence. Contact Service Alberta at 1-780-427-4088 (or toll free in Alberta only at 1-877-427-4088) for more information.

Planning Services Centre

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. (MT)

Live chat:


In person: 
Planning Services Centre,
3rd floor, Municipal building 
800 Macleod Trail SE

Book an eAppointment for in person services at appointment.calgary.ca

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​

We do regular research with businesses to better understand the outlook and viewpoint of the business community. If you are a business owner, leader or manager, join our online business research panel, Business Perspectives.