5 reasons to #SupportLocalYYC
You get unique goods and services!
From everything you need to fill the most eclectic kitchen pantry, to local fashion and multicultural surprises, finding one-of-a-kind treasures is a gift in itself when you shop local.
You support the local economy
Small businesses make up a large amount of the retail sector in Calgary. Local businesses generate about four times more economic activity than larger corporations. And support for local businesses means support for local jobs.
It helps protect the environment
Less time and resources shipping products from nearby means fewer emissions are associated with every purchase. Purchasing local foods will also support area farmers.
Your money stays in Calgary
A dollar will go further when spent at a local level and it also keeps on giving. Over half of every $100 earned by local businesses ends up recirculating in the Calgary economy. It’s a win-win for our neighbourhood businesses when you support local.
You support your neighbourhood’s identity
The places we think of as great neighbourhoods can really thank local businesses for putting them on the map. Leave a positive review for the places you love, follow and tag them on social media, and spread the word about your favourite local businesses with #SupportLocalYYC
#SUPPORTLOCALYYC parking contest
Enter to win $150 worth of Parking Credits when you Support Local during your holiday shopping this year! Learn more at Calgaryparking.com.
Did you know Calgary has over a dozen Business Improvement Areas?
Another great resource for local shoppers is the directory of Business Improvement Areas (BIAs).
BIAs encourage neighbourhood revitalization, business diversification and, overall, the building of a great city.
Shoppers can explore options for local businesses and find new places to support and try out.
Currently, there are some 15 BIAs, each with a local neighbourhood flavour, with services and products that might be a pleasant surprise.
Each BIA has a website, with shopping directories, special events and other features. Try calgary.ca/bia.
#SupportLocalYYC Marketing Toolkit
Calgarians love supporting local businesses. These tools will help them find you.
Print posters for your store window
Download digital banners for social media
Download #SupportLocalYYC banners and images to use on social media posts:
Local Business Marketing Tips
Support Local is a celebration of local businesses and services in Calgary. Join Calgary businesses by using #SupportLocalYYC in your social posts and other marketing. It’s free to participate.
- Use #SupportLocalYYC marketing tools to identify your business as locally owned, and label Calgary made or grown products.
- Claim your business listing and location on Google My Business to increase your visibility online.
- Encourage your customers to use the #SupportLocalYYC hashtag to promote their favourite Calgary businesses and services.
- Ensure you’re active on social media. New photos and updates help keep your followers informed and interested in your business.
- Retweet, re-post and share everything satisfied customers say about your business on social media. Each customer post acts as a little testimonial that may encourage others to give your business a try.
- Respond to social media reviews online. This shows that you value your customers’ feedback, gives you an opportunity to highlight the positives and shows you care.