Building a backyard suite
If you are building a backyard suite, this is the right page for you. Find information on the rules for your specific property, how to apply, and how to register your suite.
We’re waiving up to $900 in fees until December 31, 2021
The City is waiving fees for the development permit and secondary suite registry for all secondary and backyard suites until December 31, 2021.
What's changing in 2022?
All secondary and backyard suites must be on our suite registry by December 31, 2021. In January 2022, we will reinstate fees for the development permit and suite registry.
- There must not be more than one backyard secondary suite located on a property
- A backyard suite and a secondary suite cannot be located on the same property
Step 1: Review the rules and fees
|Suite type||Permit Fee||Safety Codes Council Fee (4%)||Total|
|Suite type: New backyard suite||Permit Fee: $1312||Safety Codes Council Fee (4%): $52.48||Total: $1364.48|
Step 2: Prepare your application
- Use the Backyard Suite Checklist to determine your project’s drawing requirements.
- Review the Backyard Suites How-to Guide
- For online applications, review the criteria for information on how to organize your plans and documents
- Complete plans and collect supporting documents. Review the sample drawings if needed.
Step 3: Apply
In order to get started, create a myID account.
Create a myID account
Businesses can register for a myID business account. A business account is intended for myID services to be submitted on behalf of a business or organization. Please follow the steps outlined on the myID business account page.
Step 4: Inspections and managing your permit application
Planning Services Centre
Legal and safe: suite registry
Check the Secondary Suite Registry to find or verify a legal suite in Calgary.
Registry suites include all necessary permits and have been inspected to meet Alberta's Safety Code requirements. The registry is continually updated as we approve suites.
If an operating suite does not appear on the registry, you can contact Customer support to submit a complaint.