Alert | Mandatory outdoor water restrictions in effect - critical water main break affecting city-wide usage

City-wide indoor and outdoor water restrictions are in place. A fire ban is in effect. The boil water advisory has been lifted.

More information

Development and Building Professionals Hub

Construction Drawings - Development Engineering

Construction drawings – Development Engineering

Before you apply

Use this guide to help you understand the application requirements and prepare your application prior to submitting with the City.

What are construction drawings?

The design and appr​oval of Development Commitments, such as utilities, roads, and other surface improvements, is managed through the construction drawing design review process. The construction drawing approval process is a major step towards achieving permission for the construction of both underground utilities (water, sanitary, and storm mains) and surface improvements (roadways, sidewalks, pathways, and surface drainage).

What are the different types of construction drawing submissions?

Onsite – Required for the development of a subdivision phase in a community; shows the infrastructure designed to make each parcel serviceable and the subdivision functional.

Offsite – Infrastructure that connects the subdivision services to utilities and may be required to make Onsite operational.

Ponds – Required for storm water management within a community. Alberta Environment approval required.

Main extension – Required to extend infrastructure a short distance, commonly associated with a Development Site Servicing Plan (DSSP).

Landscape construction drawings – Required when the development includes or affects adjacent reserve land (MR, MSR, ER) and public utility lots (PUL, storm pond), or includes road cross sections that include street trees. Please refer to park development guidelines for landscape construction specifications.

Construction Drawing Minor Revision (CD-MR) - Refers to the process where minor changes are made to approved construction drawings after the release of Permissions to Construct (PTC) for underground utilities. 

How much will it cost?

Development Agreement (DA)

A Development Agreement will be entered into between The City and a Land Developer. This legal contract is used for all residential, industrial, and commercial developments. It sets out the terms and conditions under which development of the lands are to take place within The City including the responsibility to construct public infrastructure and associated financial obligations.

Tiering and securities framework

The City uses a ranking system that determines the securities amount required before construction begins. This framework provides a risk-managed approach to supporting new investment opportunities through easing securities requirements for developers who meet their performance requirements.

See tiering and securities criteria.

Indemnification Agreement (IA)

An Indemnification Agreement may be entered into between The City and a property owner and authorizes a certified contractor working on behalf of the property owner/developer to excavate, break or reconstruct all or any portion of infrastructure for a project.

If unknown to you, The City will identify which agreement is applicable as part of your construction drawing submission.

Do you need to hire a professional?

Yes. Only applications prepared to professional drafting standards will be accepted. All materials submitted must be of high quality and include all applicable plans and documents. This allows us to meet our review timelines and provide thorough and accurate reviews. See CAD standard for help.

How to prepare your application so that it meets the requirements

The following information will help you prepare your application. Use this information to help make sure your application meets the City’s requirements.

To submit construction drawings and permission to construct requests, applicants must have a business myID account. To sign up for a business myID account, applications must have a valid Business ID number and have signed up for a citizen myID account. For steps on how to convert your citizen myID account to a business myID account visit myId – business account.

Complete Application Requirements List (CARL)

The complete application requirements list (CARL) contains all the information required for an application.

Viewing authorization form

Fill out this form to view the proprietary engineering drawings protected by the Canadian Copyright Act.

Alberta environment and parks authorizations

Once a year, The City of Calgary requires the development industry to provide information regarding proposed developments involving the extension or replacement of watermains, sanitary sewers and/or storm sewers.  Construction drawing applications must include the Data sheet item 1A and the Letter of authorization 1B and the City map with the first submission. Please ensure that the Letter of authorization 1B is signed and stamped digitally in accordance with APEGA’s digital signature requirements. 

Stormwater management facilities must be constructed prior to, or in conjunction with, the first phase of development in the Outline Plan area.  Ponds must be registered with Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP).  A written authorization obtained from AEP is required for the construction or modification of storm drainage treatment facilities, including stormwater ponds. Pond submission and approval process.

Construction drawings supporting documents and reports

Alberta environment and parks authorizations

Subdivision development

The information collected will facilitate Alberta Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act (EPEA) applications and authorizations as well as assist various divisions within The City with forecasting capital projects and scheduling for the year.

Every proposed development must be reported to Development Commitments who then applies to Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) for authorization to proceed with construction of said developments. 

Under AEP’s Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, The City of Calgary is the approving authority for these activities within its jurisdiction and is responsible for coordinating and integrating the review of potential impacts of proposed projects on the environment in The City of Calgary’s administrative region. 

Public ponds

If a storm drainage system for a subdivision drains to a stormwater pond, a pond report must be submitted and approved by Development Engineering – Utilities prior to submitting the infrastructure construction drawings to Development Commitments.

The City of Calgary will coordinate the registration of public ponds under the Alberta Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act (EPEA) with Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP). The purpose of EPEA is to support and promote the protection, enhancement, and wise use of the environment, and is administered by AEP.

A pond report, approved by The City (Development Engineering – Utilities), is required prior to Development Engineering – Utilities submitting the application for registration to AEP.  The owner, developer, or designated consultant is responsible for preparing and submitting the required information to Development Engineering – Utilities including a completed EPEA application form: stormwater management and design - 2011.

Erosion and Sediment Control (ESC) drawings

Erosion and Sediment Control plan reviews are a parallel process to construction drawing reviews. Approval is required prior to approval of underground or surface construction.

Find guidelines, standards & specifications and the ESC Field Manual, refer to erosion and sediment control plan reviews.

Geotechnical reports

The City of Calgary requires that Geotechnical Reports be submitted as part of Land Development Applications to provide confirmation that the lands in question can physically accommodate the proposed development while minimizing Risks to Public Safety.

There are three main types of Geotechnical Reports that may be required as part of a Land Development Application.

They are defined as follows:

Geotechnical evaluation report – An interpretative report that is completed by a qualified Geotechnical Engineering Consultant and is intended to evaluate the geotechnical conditions of the site and confirm that the land may be used safely for the intended use without undue risk of hazards.

Slope stability report – A detailed report intended to assess Stable Land within the area set out in the report. This report is used to determine the boundaries of Development.

Deep fills report – A geotechnical analysis of the soils within areas of the Development being filled more than two metres deep. The report contains recommendations on any Development restrictions, including bearing certificates and special foundation designs that may be necessary to provide integrity of any structure, including buildings, roads and utilities constructed on those fill areas. A Deep Fills Report will also typically contain a plan showing all areas of cuts and fills known as a Cut-Fill Plan.

Depending on the characteristics of the parcel, more than one type of Geotechnical Report may be required in connection with a given Land Development Application.

For more details, see geotechnical reports.

Legal Plans (LP) and Miscellaneous Plans (MPL)

Legal Plans

Plans must be created by the applicant or an Alberta Land Surveyor to show the boundaries of each new lot. Upon approval of a subdivision by plan, an Alberta Land Surveyor prepares a plan of survey, based on monuments placed in the ground.  The plan gets registered at the Land Titles office.

Miscellaneous Plans

Plans for corner cuts, road widening, access easements, utility rights-of-way, that have no concurrent subdivision applications.

Master drainage plan

A conceptual stormwater drainage plan in support of the Area Structure Plan and prepared for large drainage areas serviced by a single outfall to a receiving water body such as the Bow River.

For more information see staged master and master drainage plans.

Purchase master drainage plans from CityOnline

Ministerial consent

Required from the Province of Alberta prior to approval of outline plans.

Noise study

As part of the planning process in Calgary, residential areas are examined to determine whether there is an existing or potential problem in outdoor rear leisure areas around the home. The City is committed to reducing the impact of noise generated by vehicles in existing and future residential areas.

Related info: network planning.

Pavement design

An approved pavement design is required to obtain surface construction permission. The pavement design must be submitted, under cover letter by the developer or their consulting engineer, to The City of Calgary, Materials and surface restoration – Pavement soils asset management for approval. See road specifications and guidelines for more information at roads.

Sanitary servicing studies

The objective of a Sanitary Servicing Study (SSS) is to demonstrate the adequacy of the existing and proposed sanitary sewer systems to satisfy the demands of a proposed development or redevelopment.

For more details, see refer to the sanitary servicing study guidelines

For more information on what to submit and to get additional support or to inquire about report availability, see sanitary servicing studies.

Staged master drainage plan

Find guidelines and checklists indicating what to submit refer to staged master drainage plans.

See how to submit and view approved reports at CityOnline.

Stormwater Management Reports (SWMR)

Find guidelines, checklists, and report submission requirements, refer to stormwater management reports.

See how to submit and view approved reports at CityOnline.

Water network design


Infrastructure Construction Drawings (CD) application submissions are now available in our intuitive new portal, ApplyCentral.

myID business account is required to access ApplyCentral. Easily apply, review, submit, resubmit and see the status of your application anytime, from anywhere. You can also submit and apply for construction permissions. 

*CD applications will no longer be supported on the VISTA platform after February 28, 2023.

Tips for a smooth application process

How long will it take to process your application?

Circulation times

Construction drawings can be in circulation for approximately 6 weeks to complete a thorough design review, depending on the complexity of the project. Reviews by specialists occur simultaneously and by Generalists, successively. You can see the status of your application in ApplyCentral.

To avoid delays, make sure your application includes all the required documents, plans and information listed on the Complete Application Requirements List (CARL). 

Reasons for CD circulation delays

  1. Not adhering to the current CAD standard.
  2. Incomplete application submission including the omission of updated adjacent/adjoining block profiles.
  3. The detailed cover letter is not explicit enough to clarify complexities.

Smooth CD circulation

  1. A comprehensive detailed cover letter. At the first submission, outline the project scope and justifications and explanations of any unusual conditions. All subsequent submissions should clearly and thoroughly address the comments from the review.
  2. Providing a CPC approved and stamped outline plan within the drawing set.

Reasons for permission delays

  1. An incomplete request
  2. Outstanding requirements

Smooth permission circulations

  1. Clear site map(s) displaying the exact infrastructure requesting to be built. This may mean including multiple site maps depending on the extent of the proposed infrastructure to be constructed.
  2. Clear site map titles (ie. Underground Construction Permission Request or Partial Surface Construction Request).
  3. Requests for partial permission to construct - indicate which area is being constructed with a red boundary, and hatch and label the area which is not included in the request.

Where can you apply for your permits?

Apply online

To apply online, you need a myID account. Create a myID account.

Apply for permission to construct

Each request must be submitted in one multi-page PDF document.

Types of construction requests

  1. Underground infrastructure – full or partial or remainder
  2. Surface infrastructure – full or partial or remainder

Permission to construct is granted when the following requirements have been met

  1. Design approval has been achieved.
  2. A financial agreement is in place.
  3. For underground permission, an approved Erosion & sediment control report and, for storm ponds, authorization from Alberta Environment.
  4. For surface permission, an approved Pavement design from materials & surface restoration – pavement soils asset management and an approved Storm water management report.

After you apply

How to check the status of your application

After you submit your application online, you will get a confirmation email.

Easily check the status of your applications on ApplyCentral.

If you need help or have questions, contact

During and post construction

Construction Completion Certificate (CCC) / Final Acceptance Certificate (FAC)

Requirements and processes related to the Construction Completion Certificate (CCC) and Final Acceptance Certificate (FAC) are outlined in detail here. The guidelines ensure that infrastructure such as utilities, improvements, streetlights, and boulevards comply with City of Calgary standards.

As-built drawings

As-builts are required post construction to ensure that The City can maintain accurate records of the installed infrastructure. Drawings in PDF and AutoCad are submitted to

Once drawings are approved, security reductions may be authorized.


Approved community name

The name presented to the Calgary Planning Commission (CPC) for a recommendation and approved by Council through a bylaw.

Phase number

A developer divides their developments into progressive phases. The phase number identifies a stage of their development project.


Calgary Planning Commission (CPC)

A committee appointed by City Council that acts as Approving Authority on all subdivision matters and as Development Authority on some development matters.

Development Agreement (DA)

A legal contract used for all residential, industrial and commercial developments outlining the terms and conditions under which development of the lands are to take place within The City.

Indemnification Agreement (IA)

A contract between The City and a property owner authorizing a certified contractor to work on behalf of the property owner/developer.



Standards and specifications


Legal agreement templates

  • Legal agreement precidents
    • Utility rights-of-way (UR/W) and easements, 
    • Mutual access easement agreements, 
    • Overland Drainage Agreements (ODRs)

Contact us