Citywide Growth Strategy: Industrial
Industrial Land Map
This interactive map illustrates the citywide occupied and vacant industrial lands, the distribution of vacant industrial lands by geography, by land use district (zoning), by ownership, and by servicing status.
Pre-Servicing of Industrial Lands
In response to industrial developer’s feedback and as part of the ongoing effort to support the industrial sector in Calgary, we’re excited to share another update on the Industrial Action Plan. This process improvement is in direct response to industry feedback and to Council’s direction contained in 2022 Industrial Action Plan to “evaluate development standards for industrial areas for changes that may enable more cost-effective industrial development”.
- Allowing pre-servicing will enable developers to install services earlier in the process, before the roads are paved. This reduces the number of cuts that are made into a freshly paved road, preserving it’s integrity.
- Pre-servicing also eliminates the extra permitting, work, costs, and time associated with re-paving and warrantying the road.
- Developers can benefit from the significant efficiencies associated with having contractors already on site doing similar utility installation work, reducing the need to install single services connections later on.
- This process improvement also has the benefit of limiting disruption to existing businesses due to utility related road work.
- Most importantly, this improves Calgary’s industrial sector competitiveness by lowering land development costs, and allowing prospective industries to open their doors sooner because the servicing is already in place.
For more information contact:
Coordinator, Growth Strategy
City and Regional Planning
Planning & Development Services